Re: [linux-audio-dev] gain curves, interpolation, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] gain curves, interpolation, etc.
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 02:36:14 EET

On Wednesday 29 November 2000 18:09, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Thanks, Paul. That's essentially what I was thinking. It's good
> to know I'm not reinventing the wheel. :-)
>
> I'm still not sure the roundoff error is really much of a problem
> in practice.

The mantissa is 24 bits... So dealing with 24 bit data (in the
integer domain, that is), you basically cannot afford to lose *any*
bits when generating amplitude envelopes, as that results in zipper
noise!

This should make it obvious why float64 inside plugins is in no way
overkill or humbug.

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'