Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 00:49:45 EET

On Thursday 30 November 2000 15:40, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:11:18AM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Is that really "bounded range", or possibly "defined 0 dB
> > level"...?
>
> Well, a 0dbFS defined level is exactly equal to a bounded range,
> and a 0dbU or V is meaningless in digital systems.

I don't think we're interpreting "bounded" in the same way... The 0
dB reference level I'm talking about is *not* an upper bound; just an
approximate default level for a "max" amplitude signal, such as what
you'd get from an ADC near clipping level.

Plugins with non-linear amplitude response *need* a definition of
some kind - or users will have to deal with raw signal levels (which
may be in the -1.0..1.0 or -65536.0..65536.0 range, or whatever,
depending on the host) as parameter units.

Considering the above, I can't see how a defined normal 0 dB level
can be meaningless. Nor can I see how it would hur performance, or
add complexity, as it's just a figure that you may ignore if your
plugin has linear amplitude response.

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'