Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 06:13:39 EET

> > But what I
> > think strange is that their new line of Proteus family synth
> > modules do not also include some standard RAM SIMM/DIMM slots, plus
> > a quick (USB/ethernet) interface to the computer for downloading
> > additional sounds.
>
> That would have been way to usable to be healthy to their sampler
> sales!

I wouldn't doubt that was a consideration to them. But to look
at the bigger picture ... Gigasampler! It's already pretty
decent competition, and able to do some things an Ultra sampler
can't. And there are other software samplers, from Bitheadz
and now Emagic. The Gigasampler format is already starting to
eclipse AKAI, Emu and Roland as the preferred distribution format
for sample CDs.

Things are changing in the sampler market, and I think in the
future, the main selling point of hardware samplers will be
reliability and portability. Honestly, E-mu may have to keep
on their toes to stay viable.

I'm hoping that the sampler companies will come out with some
products that work more like the Nord Modular, in which case
there will be some opportunities for writing Linux applications
to support them.

The Ultra sampler of the future might make a nice sound card. ;-)

Actually, this reminds me that E-mu's E8000 and E10000 chips are
found on Soundblaster cards, and my XL-1 synth module has in it ...
(guess) ... an E10000 chip (plus a couple other custom chips).
And E-mu already has a professional sound card product. They
may be feeling out that direction already.

> Small, external box, rock solid MIDI, awesome audio quality, loads of
> DSP power, fast and easy sample editing with VST and DirectX plugin
> support etc, all for the same price as a sampler, decent PC w/ OK
> sound card for editing *included*. :-D

Pretty much what I was thinking. I expect whoever comes out with
something like this will have a hot product.

> No, that would have to be some other company,

Whatever. E-mu is in a prime position to do it, but as you say,
they are also in a prime position to resist.

- Jay Ts