Re: [linux-audio-dev] New "plugin"

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New "plugin"
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 19:59:06 EET

>Just one small comment here: the Time Stamp register on Pentium class (and
>above) CPUs is 64 bits wide. By using only the lower 32 bits as in your
>example, you will quickly see overflows. Example: On a 400 MHz machine,
>you'll have 2^32/400000000 = approximately 10 seconds. So you'll have an
>overflow after 10 seconds, which might be reached easily by some of the
>more complex plugins.

Given that all current plugins that I have seen are RT-capable, this
is impossible in an RT host. Of course, if the blocksize handed to the
plugins by applyplugin, which is not an RT host, is the whole file, or
even particularly huge chunks of it, then you're right.

     unsigned long long then, now;

     rdstc (then);
     rdtsc (now);

for anyone who doesn't know how to use 64bit ints with gcc.

--p