Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 20:10:07 EET

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, Rick Burnett wrote:

LADSPA is a plugin architecture similar to VST1.0, which allows you do run
chains of audio processing modules (aka plugins).
There is the concept of audio port (an audio input/output , in substance an
array of floats), and control ports which can be input or output ports and are
used to pass parameters from/to plugins (eg filtercutoff, reverb roomsize etc)

LADSPA's goal was to be simple and efficient, so you need to make certain
tradeoff when it comes to the functionality it offers.

MAIA on the other hand is made to accomodate complex plugins and applications
(an application will basically become a big plugin which runs under a MAIA
host).
MAIA's goal is to provide the infrastructure to build a complete virtual studio
upon it, taking into account all the issues, like low latency, SMP capability,
 multiple datatypes and other fancy stuff.
It's generic timestamped event system is sample accurate and functionatily like
MIDI can easily be implemented on top of it.

As for MUCOS, MAIA is simply the new name of MUCOS.

Benno.