Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 04:02:25 EET

On Friday 01 December 2000 07:04, Rick Burnett wrote:
> Wow, I didn't mean to write a book.

You have some way to go before you can compete with me, but it's
looking good! ;-)

> I do have one more question.
> Can somone elaborate to me what the difference between LADSPA and
> the MAIA (forgot the actual letters ) is and MOCOS and how all
> these benefit each other. I am just trying to get up to speed on
> these issues :)

LADSPA, the Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API, is just that;
a simple plugin API. It covers basically the important stuff from VST
1.0, and some things that were missing there, as well as some ideas
from other places. It doesn't have an event system, but only audio
(buffers of samples) and control ports (single values), and all data
is float32.

The idea is to keep LADSPA clean and easy to use, so that we'll have
handy alternative for things that this API does well.

MAIA, the Multimedia Application Integration Architecture, is a
plugin API, but also a sort of inter-process communication system.
Theoretically, it has about the same functionality as VST 2.0; most
importantly timestamped events, which allow sample accurate control
without splitting buffers. That's about where the similarities end.

Contrary to VST 2.0, MAIA is built from the ground up around it's
event system, and thus, it has no function call API for parameter
access and the like - it's all done through the event system. Another
important difference is that MAIA is not restricted to audio
processing, but can deal with almost any kind of data.

The philosophy behind the MAIA API is to provide a solid base for
interconnection of plugins in real time and off-line systems with
sample accurate timing, and then build various (mostly optional)
protocols on top of that.

MuCoS, the MUltimedia COmmunication System, is very simple: It's the
former (and not very sexy) name of MAIA. :-) The new name is both
better looking and more to the point, I hope.

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'