Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool
From: Ellis Breen (miminon_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 17:44:28 EET

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kai Vehmanen" <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi>
To: <linux-audio-dev_AT_ginette.musique.umontreal.ca>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 3:45 PM

> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
> > almost enough to make me want to run a commercial OS ...
> > http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2000/Reason-Released.html
>
> Hmm, urggh, am I the only one here that hates these lets-imitate-hardware
> UIs? Really, I couldn't picture myself working with Reason. So no drool
> here. ;)
Yep, the stupidest interface I have ever seen... It seems to be trying to
appeal
to luddite hardware bigots. What is the point of having mouse-controlled
knobs?
The only reason for knobs is their large range in a compact footprint. This
is not a concern
with a mouse-controlled GUI. Virtual ribbon controllers make a lot more
sense. You could
even use the wheelmouse (or Z-axis controller as it is known to X Windows)
to provide control log functionality.

And it's nowhere near as immune to sound break up as Rebirth was (even with
ASIO drivers), something I wouldn't expect to see if it were to run under a
LL Linux kernel. So, not so "Hard" after all. And limited to a whatever
proprietary modules the Propellerheads choose to assign to it. The worst of
both hard and soft worlds...

Ellis