Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 18:16:33 EET

>Actually I didn't want to emphasize the price issue. I was thinking more
>about the different roles: studio engineer <-> musician. In our (a)
>scenario, the important thing is to provide a stable (no delay),
>high-quality recording environment.
>When you're both the engineer and the musician, you still expect to have
>rock solid apps, but you are ready to make compromises.

Sure. But supposed you didn't have to make those compromises, or at
least, didn't have to make all of them ? Thats what I'm hoping for
medium to long term. If we produce free software that can do what
ProTools, the Sony/Neve desks and all that other stuff can, you no
longer have to deal with the same compromises (well, there is still
the control surface issue).

>> wouldn't be quite happy with a Sony 48 track digital mixing desk,
>> and/or a high end protools setup, a dozen $10K mic preamps and a
>> 100x100 patch bay, etc. But you don't have an unlimited budget (or
>> space, for that matter! :), almost nobody does for a home studio. so
>
>Hmm, I don't think I have ever mentioned anything about my budget
>nor my home studio-setup... ;)

No you didn't. But I'm just guessing that most people probably don't
have the cash for a 48 track digital console. Did I blow it again ?

>> you've figured out ways to work with a system that works for you but
>> doesn't have that kind of capital expenditure.
>[...]
>> it turns out that you have also decided that you *like* it, and thats
>> great. but i suspect that if someone had given you whatever studio
>> gear you might have asked for at some point in the past, ecasound
>> would not exist now, were it not for some philosophical issues
>> srrounding the use of linux that may or may not be important for you.
>
>Uhm, my comments weren't aimed at all GUI apps. Although I am constantly
>marketing my apps, no, I don't think ecasound's CLI-interface is the
>musician's interface of tomorrow. :) I do like to use many GUI-based audio
>apps. But not something like Reason. I guess Acid would be a good
>example of an interface I'm much more comfortable using.

I wasn't really referring to the GUI/CLI distinction. I just meant
that if someone dropped a conventional high end studio in your house,
you'd probably be quite happy to use it, and would likely not have
been motivated to write ecasound. I know this is about 80% true for
me.

>>>You could compare this to for instance using csound. Once you learn how it
>>>works, you're ready to start experimenting, and more you do it, the better
>> i totally agree. its one of the reasons i still love latex and to some
>> extent tex as well. however, i don't see why i have to choose between
>
>The perfect example! :) Microsoft Word. That's the feeling I get when I am
>using apps like Reason, when I think I should be getting the latex
>feel! :)

LOL! yes, this is the perfect comparison. all us latex fans know
why we love our ornery, complex, subtle typesetter, and why word is
just a Bad Idea.

and i wasn't really saying that Reason was a Good Idea. the "drool"
was because i want to be able to do *at least* what it can do on my
linux systems. if i could get the latex version instead, so much the better.

--p