Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool? not!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool? not!
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 19:44:52 EET

>Not everyone can or wants to have engineers to do the button pushing
>and fiddling. Why not allow for audible control and feedback?

i have a friend who for the last year has been developing (overseeing)
a voice-controlled system for civil engineering bidding systems. its a
very constrained problem space. i am not sure of the skill or time put
in by the actual programmers, but i know that adding voice control to
applications even under windows, where there are some fairly advanced
commercial libraries for this (which my friend is using), is far from
easy. this is not to mention to complications caused by combining a
GUI *and* voice control.

OTOH, i have often thought of adding audible feedback to ardour as a
kind of auditory joke. it would say "track three record enabled" when
you pressed that button. i can almost guarantee you that, much like a
work partner who never knows when to shut up, it would become annoying
very soon after you gained confidence that your control actions
(button, mouse, keyboard, voice, midi fader, etc) worked correctly.

i think voice control would be *amazing*, but i think it unwise to
believe that just because there are a couple of voice packages out
there, using it in any given application is a straightforward process.

--p