[linux-audio-dev] RE: Reason Software Synth -- Knobs, Sliders and such

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RE: Reason Software Synth -- Knobs, Sliders and such
From: Garth Brantley (garth_AT_fullduplex.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 22:36:36 EET

    I have played with the Reason demo quite a bit, so I thought I would pop
in my two cents. I too tend to be skeptical of the flashy gui. But this
program is amazing, all the knobs and sliders can learn a midi controller in
2 mouse clicks. Since I have a PC-1600 controller, in about 45 seconds I
can setup 16 sliders to control the knobs and sliders I need and be back to
working on the song. I find that seeing the knob or slider moving on the
screen as you move a slider is very valuable. Overall, Reason offers
incredible power at the fingertips. It is very far away from arcane lcd
sampler interfaces and such. It is one of the most refined user interfaces
I have seen for a software synthesizer system.
    Not to mention, Reason has incredible power behind the scenes. Midi
control is completely integrated with everything. The basic sampler,
although not very powerful, is much easier to use than say, gigasampler. It
is very quick to get a wav file loaded and get back to making music. The Dr
Rex sample player is a truly unique piece of equipment that has no equal in
hardware or software samplers. It is the most efficient way I have seen of
working with sliced up drum loops. Of course it requires you to buy a copy
of ReCycle to use it, which is pretty lame. Overall, it is very usable to
actually create music with and the high quality graphics make it a pleasure
to use.

 -Garth