Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 22:43:01 EET

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> so, you think that any of the UI paradigm(s?) exemplified by Windows,
> MacOS, BeOS, NeXTStep or anyone else is actually *good* for this kind
> of thing ?

Consistency in GUI design is a very important thing. It's something X11
has forgotten, and which gnome and kde are trying to bring back.

> i know that *i* don't. those UI's simply don't deal well
> with the notion of 20 parameters on screen at once and all being
> controlled at the same time (or as close to it as the input device(s)
> allow for). curves can sometimes help that (as for EQ), but often
> not.

When every app uses a completely different interface with completely
different widgets and completely different input methods, it only hurts
usability.

Imagine 5 different linux audio applications, each with its own completely
different widget library, own completely different input method. User has
to learn how to twiddle knobs and widgets completely different on each
one, and each behaves non-intuitively in its own way.

Err wait, that's the mess we have already :-)

Common widget sets to be used across ALL applications helps a LOT. This is
where macos and windoze do well over X11. gnome and kde will help X11, but
more work is needed.

-Dan