RE: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released
From: MOULET Xavier FTRD/DMR/ISS (xavier.moulet_AT_rd.francetelecom.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 15:44:17 EET

> I. Consistently use gtk+-specific terminology, or not.
>
> I think if we're going to have hbox/vbox
> (which smell very strongly of gtk+), we oughta use table
> and not grid.
> and maybe spinbutton instead of spinner.
>
> or, use grid everywhere and if grid::height == 1, the
> implementation
> may use an hbox for efficiency, etc.

agreed, and i realize that my first proposal was terribly simple. (just to
say that there was Qt terms, where you have vbox, hbox and grid. I assume
only Grid/table is really needed. HBOX and VBOX is just syntactic sugar ,
thus irrelevant here.

The features we may need are :
        multicolumn & multirow widgets
        spacing between row /column : can be a blank multicolumn or multirow
widget extendable widgets / fixed-size widgets
        nestable packing
        ...?

first example :

        <widget1 ... />
        <widget2 ... />
        <widget3 ... />
        <newline/>
        <multispan row="2" column="4">
        <widget> # only one widget here !
        <multispan/>
or we may have the (maybe cleaner in a pure description as here) Tk/Qt
layouts approach of setting widgets on a table :
each widget can have the following attributes :
        row
        column # default to 0
        rowspan # DEFAULTS TO 1
        columnspan # DEFAULTS TO 1
        strechfactor # defaults to 1, can be 0 -> no strech, other values
are relative to each other.

row/column indexes are relative to each other

it may be the simplest way of doing things : no nesting, but
variable-sizes-proof.

What do you think ?