[linux-audio-dev] PDAs with Linux

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] PDAs with Linux
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 00:52:44 EET

Well I have decided to get the iPaq instead of the Agenda PDA. The iPaq
has a 206Mhz ARM processor, 16Meg Flash, 32Meg Ram and Compaq has released
a linux distro for it, although other people are working on ones with
smaller footprints.

I asked them what type of sound driver they are using, they wrote there
own OSS compatible driver. The only thing that really aggrevates me is
that the ARM processor is also no-floating point.

Has anyone done any types of benchmarks as to what a non-floating point
processor performs compared to a floating-point. I want some way to
derate the clock frequency as to what to compare it to.

This iPaq has the option of a PCMCIA expander or CompactFlash expansion
(You have to buy a module sleeve for the particular one you want). So you
could get better audio out of it provided there actually existed a nice
PCMCIA sound card. Likewise you could use it as a midi controller/etc.

These are literally sold out all over the united states, back-ordered
until Q2. The local Radio Shack swears they can get me one by next
Tuesday, we'll see :)

Just curious, is anyone on this list interested in the work I do with
it? I plan on using it with the DSP stuff I am writing that is a
derivating of Paul's Ardour project.

Thanks,
Rick

| T a l i t y | +------+ |