Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 02:27:55 EET

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> > I would love to have everything resizeable, I just hate apps like xmms
> >that is basically unviewable on my monitor (1280x1024, 15 inch), when I
> >double the size it looks ugly...
> >
> > it would be nice to have most of the default gui elements resizeable
> >(vectors instead of pixmaps) - buttons, knobs, scroll bars & sliders
> >etc...
>
> vectors aren't going to fly with me. you cannot do a decent knob with
> vector graphics without significant computational overhead.

  most of the pixmaps based apps (xmms, enlightenment) are fairly slow.
do you think that overall performance of bitmap based GUI can match that
of vector one?

  what is a decent knob? isn't it just a circle with an indicator of
position? since only indicator moves I don't see too much computation
there...

> so you won't be able to resize if a host is using a backend that i
> write. however, you will be able to use a different set of basic
> pixmaps with the backend, so that if you are working on a small
> monitor, things are more reasonably sized. this needs to apply to bit
> depth too, though i'm not sure how much variation there is these days.

  I just realized that the size of the monitor does not really matter
that much, most of the monitors are .25, so if you're running at the
best resolution the monitor gives you the pixmap is always the same
physical size...

> i plan to offer a set of pixmaps that work for me; others can cook up
> small sets if they want. no recompilation would be needed to switch sets.
>
> if you'd really like a vector-based backend, once the XML DTD settles,
> i'd invite you to write one.

  for now I would like to have the definitions of GUI elements not to
require bitmap and the support for parameters that specify how to resize
pixmap (tile, center, resize etc...). Unfortunately I have deleted the
XML that you posted so I cannot check it. would it be possible to have
it on the ladspa.org page? even though it's in pre-alpha stage; it would
be easier to discuss/work on stuff if it's available...

        erik