Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 06:26:37 EET

On Friday 08 December 2000 01:27, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > > I would love to have everything resizeable, I just hate apps
> > > like xmms that is basically unviewable on my monitor
> > > (1280x1024, 15 inch), when I double the size it looks ugly...
> > >
> > > it would be nice to have most of the default gui elements
> > > resizeable (vectors instead of pixmaps) - buttons, knobs,
> > > scroll bars & sliders etc...
> >
> > vectors aren't going to fly with me. you cannot do a decent knob
> > with vector graphics without significant computational overhead.
>
> most of the pixmaps based apps (xmms, enlightenment) are fairly
> slow. do you think that overall performance of bitmap based GUI can
> match that of vector one?

That definitely depends on what kind of rendering is used, and how
much detail is required. For anything like the appearance of bitmaps
with vectors, you'd need OpenGL with h/w acceleration for decent
performance...

> > so you won't be able to resize if a host is using a backend that
> > i write. however, you will be able to use a different set of
> > basic pixmaps with the backend, so that if you are working on a
> > small monitor, things are more reasonably sized. this needs to
> > apply to bit depth too, though i'm not sure how much variation
> > there is these days.
>
> I just realized that the size of the monitor does not really
> matter that much, most of the monitors are .25, so if you're
> running at the best resolution the monitor gives you the pixmap is
> always the same physical size...

No. On higher end monitors, you usually run much higher resolutions,
even measured in DPI, often slightly higher than the dot pitch
resolution. Lower end monitors have too poor focus and pixel shape
control to use resolutions near the dot pitch. (Of course, that
depends on whether or not your eyes are good enough to be irritated
by the blur.)

Right now I'm looking at a 1920x1440 mode on a 21" screen - it's
razor sharp without visible deformation of the pixels. At 1600x1200,
I get moire because the focus is sharp enough that the scan lines are
separated. And yes, "normal" size bitmaps look pretty small, despite
the monitor size. (OTOH, they're still sharp if you look closer... :-)

I have the same "problem" with the old Nokia 19"er; although the
picture looks pretty dull and distorted to me now. *hehe* (It's
pretty sharp, though, great value for money.)

(The big monitor is an Eizo F980, in case anyone's looking for
something that works for serious X use. It's around $2300 in Europe
though, but I can only say that you get what you pay for...)

Ok, I'm probably insane when it comes to monitors and resolutions (as
if that was the only thing... ;-), but still, I wouldn't rely on even
the "average" user being happy with a single fixed size of pixmaps.
Some use 800x600 on their 15"ers, while others use 1280x1024...

> > i plan to offer a set of pixmaps that work for me; others can
> > cook up small sets if they want. no recompilation would be needed
            ^^^^^^^^^^
           Or big sets? :-)

> > to switch sets.
> >
> > if you'd really like a vector-based backend, once the XML DTD
> > settles, i'd invite you to write one.
>
> for now I would like to have the definitions of GUI elements not
> to require bitmap and the support for parameters that specify how

Wasn't the idea that the host uses it's own default bitmaps when the
XML doesn't specify custom ones?

> to resize pixmap (tile, center, resize etc...). Unfortunately I
> have deleted the XML that you posted so I cannot check it. would it
> be possible to have it on the ladspa.org page? even though it's in
> pre-alpha stage; it would be easier to discuss/work on stuff if
> it's available...
>
> erik

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'