Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 05:59:14 EET

>Thats a bit of a bummer, I was kind of relying on being able to guarantee
>the position of the various controls so I could use layout to make it
>less confusing. Personally I think this is essential, but I can see its
>not very S, and resizing fanatics won't like it!

And more than that, I still don't understand at this time how it could
be done in libvstgui either. Perhaps I'll figure it out ...

>I was expecting to have to supply my own pixmaps to do this, will it
>not be possible to do hard layout even then?

No, because the GUI is not made of up of tiled-together pixmaps. The
pixmaps are packed together using a packing metaphor derived from TeX,
GTK+ and Qt. There is a huge difference between the way a "background
pixmap" is used in such circumstances to the way a "foreground" pixmap
is used. Background pixmaps will be tiled by the X server to fill
whatever space is required; foreground pixmaps will be left at their
natural size.

You seem want to a system where you just put images all over the
place, tiling them as you go. You could do that, but the GUI could not
animate the knobs or whatever because they could not exist as
"foreground" pixmaps - everything would be in the foreground.

Maybe it would help to add:

<!ELEMENT line (graphics-context?,widget,widget)>

so that you could at least draw lines between widgets ? hmm, probably
not so great.

--p