Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rackmount

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rackmount
From: douglas irving repetto (douglas_AT_music.columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 06:15:01 EET

David Olofson wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 December 2000 02:35, paul j botelho wrote:
> [...]
> > Douglas,
> >
> > Be careful with fast graphics cards (or slow ones for that
> > matter). I have had experience with cards which hog the PCI bus
> > and cause dropouts in sound. I have had this problem with an el
> > cheapo built in card with the midiman delta 66. Although my
> > experience is with a really slow graphics card I have read that
> > fast cards can hog the bus as well.
>
> Correct; even AGP cards can cause this kind of problems, although
> it's more common with PCI cards. Extreme performance cards are more
> likely to cause problems, but the higher quality ones usually let you
> control their bus behavior from the driver.

thank paul and paul and david and everyone else for your suggestions. we
ended up going with a custom penguin computing box based on the Relion
400S. it's more $$$ than i was expecting to spend, but it's going to end
up being a pretty sweet box, better than most of our non-rackmounts!

we went with a 4U case because of the AGP thing. so we'll have AGP video
and PCI audio. we don't need a lot of storage, so RAIDs won't be a
problem. the video card is a 16 MB Voodoo 3000 AGP, which should be fun.

it'll be pretty cool when our students start taking
installations/performances on the road with this thing! we just got a
rackmount G4, which is pretty much just a G4 (case and all) bolted into
a 4U rack. now there'll be a linux box to keep the G4 in line...

douglas

--
                        douglas irving repetto
                  http://music.columbia.edu/~douglas