[linux-audio-dev] PCI VGA vs sound cards, was: [ot] rackmount

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] PCI VGA vs sound cards, was: [ot] rackmount
From: Robin Whittle (rw_AT_firstpr.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 07:11:46 EET

All PCI video cards I have tried upset the Zefiro ZA2 ISA digital audio
sound card http://www.zefiro.com/ under Windows 98. It has little or no
internal buffers and relies on prompt DMA servicing, which can be uspet
when lots of video board activity via PCI prevents the desired DMA pulse
from being handled. The result is a loss of a sample and so the
swapping of channels. This is primarily or perhaps solely a problem
when recording.

The only fix in a Windows 98 situation is to use an S3 video card and
add this to the system.ini:

[display]
busthrottle=1

So the S3 cards are certainly capable of being driven in a way which
doesn't hog the CPU or I/O system. Whether this hogging is a problem
for the Linux drivers, and if so whether it can be fixed, I don't know.

 - Robin