Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 06:42:29 EET

On Friday 08 December 2000 04:53, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >Sounds good. Not quite sure what you mean by transform functions
> > though. Doesn't sound very LADSPA ;)
>
> You're right, its not:
>
> port_x = log10 (x) * atan(x) + (x*x*x) + bessel10 (x);
> port_y = machieavellian_function (y);
>
> >Will it have a marker of some kind that can be dragged around on
> > the surface?
>
> You asked for, you got it.
>
> >Mouse click problem may not matter, I have some ideas for Xinput
> > and a trackball + graphics tablet.
>
> It really does matter for regular mice. Otherwise there is no way
> to remove the mouse pointer from the control.

(That's a nice bonus feature you get with Netscape and a WinGate
gateway, BTW. Steals your mouse globally until it the gateway
decides to say the right thing, or whatever is going on. *heh...*)

Anyway, the advantage of a tablet is that it's (usually) not the core
pointing device, so you *can* do with it's events as you like, once
you've decided where they should go. However, there's the problem;
how do you select a window, widget or whatever to route the tablet
events to?

GIMP allows you to lock the tablet to the window, but unfortunately
not without some weird interference with the mouse... You have to
focus the drawing window before you can use the tablet, and what's
more problematic; the stupid tool options window changes when you
change tool. (You can have multiple pens, airbrushes etc, each
associated with it's own GIMP tool, and the core pointer can have a
tool of it's own.) So, you have to keep the tablet tool in proximity
(ie at most a few mm above the tablet) in order to be able to use the
mouse to change options for the right tool...

Probably a misconfiguration or a bug in the case of GIMP, but it made
me aware that various strange issues arise when adding special
controllers to the system.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'