[linux-audio-dev] RE: AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RE: AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification
From: David Whittle (david_AT_akaipro.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 16:25:37 EET

Dear Jay Ts,

Thanks for your e-mail. I understand the points you have made, but the
one thing you did not cover in your e-mail is exactly what you plan on
doing with the specification. Akai is not opposed to providing
assistance to developers, but we do like to know their plans since it
will certainly have an affect on our products.

That said, there is really no reason to release the disk format. Akai
typically includes access to almost every parameter of a product via a
combination of protocols.

To be honest, I don't see Akai releasing any proprietary information
into the public domain. In regards to your question about moving to a
published spec, we have already done that. The S5000 and S6000 samplers
do not use a proprietary format, but instead support FAT16 and FAT32
formats. I expect this trend to gradually continue with future products.

Best regards,
David Whittle

 David Whittle - Product Manager
 Akai Musical Instrument Corporation
 4710 Mercantile Drive
 Fort Worth, TX 76137
 phone: 817-831-9203 ext. 146 fax: 817-222-1490
 e-mail: david_AT_akaipro.com
 web site: www.akaipro.com