[linux-audio-dev] Re: AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 17:28:57 EET

David,

First of all, thanks very much for your quick reply to my inquiry.
Your message seems to indicate that there is a possibility that AKAI
will supply me with a filesystem spec if I let you know in what ways
I intend to make use of it. That information is included below.

I had downloaded and quickly read through the S5000/S6000 sampler
manual, but did not catch on to the fact that AKAI is moving to
FAT16/FAT32. This is interesting, and causes me to more seriously
consider the possibility of owning an AKAI sampler myself in the future.

Anyway, the issue is not so much about the samplers as it is the "AKAI
format" (S1000-S3000) CDs that are published by several sample CD vendors,
and AKAI too (correct?). The issue is that these CDs have become (if
I understand correctly) the dominant format, which is something that
is greater than the AKAI sampler line, or for that matter, any
single sampler product. In your message, you wrote of the FAT16/FAT32
disk format as a non-proprietary format, when in fact it is a proprietary
standard that Microsoft has documented well enough for it to "slip out
of the cage" and become of more general use than just with Windows. I
don't think it hurts Microsoft that AKAI is using "their" format! And it
certainly makes it a lot easier for AKAI, Apple and Linux users to integrate
with Windows systems - I can read and write to my Windows partition from
Linux, and it's a very nice feature that allows me to run Windows as
well as Linux here. If I couldn't do that, I wouldn't run Windows at all.

It is with this in mind that I reiterate that I think it is in AKAI's
best interest to be a little more open with regards to the AKAI CD-ROM
format. And if you're switching to FAT16/FAT32 anyway, why do you care
so much about protecting old technology?

My intent here is not at all to injure AKAI's sales or the success of the
AKAI sampler line (because I have learned by experience that a computer
is no replacement for a dedicated sampler!) but is more in the direction
of allowing owners of AKAI format sample CDs to be able to put them to
more general use. This will help to stimulate the sales of those CDs
(and make them more valuable to a wider audience), and I think it will
help stimulate sales of AKAI samplers as well, because there are many
applications where a dedicated hardware sampler is much preferable over,
for example, any software synthesizer.

On a purely psychological/marketing note, if people have a bunch of AKAI
format CDs already, then it is a "no brainer" to by an AKAI sampler with
which to to play them. And there are many very rational (logical) reasons
as well, of course.

For example, it is (if I understand correctly) fairly common for musicians
to compose music using a sequencer and simple software synth, and later
switch to playback from a hardware synth or sampler for the final recording.
(In order to get the best sound, with no glitches and with minimal consumption
of the computer's CPU.) If the same samples (from the sample CD) were used
in the "rough draft" compositional stage, it would be much easier for
the composer/musician to create in a "what you hear is what you get"
development environment.

Anyway, those are my general thoughts regarding the matter. I am not yet
totally crystal clear on my *specific* plans, but for now, the idea is twofold:

1. To be able to use AKAI format CDs on Linux, having the ability
   to read them and extract data and translate the samples to
   other formats that may be required by software that does
   not directly read AKAI CDs. In other words, a program that
   works much like the Windows CDxtract application.

2. To be able to read samples from AKAI format CDs directly into
   software synthesis programs and perhaps other audio applications.
   (As does Gigasampler, Unity DS-1, Reaktor, and I suppose other
   Windows software synths as well.)

I don't know if you are aware of this, but since I last wrote to you,
I've learned that there have been partially successful efforts to
reverse-engineer the AKAI format. I would also be tempted to take
this approach, but it does not promise to allow me to implement the
quality of service for the end user that I intend. And it also makes
AKAI look bad, because people cannot help get a negative impression from
using the AKAI CDs that "don't work right", "contain junk" or otherwise
lack the utility that they would have if fully they were supported.

If there is some way either "we" (Linux developers) or I (just myself)
can get along with AKAI, and fully support AKAI format sample CDs on
Linux, I surely would be interested in exploring the possibility further.
As I've probably made very clear by now, a fully open spec would be
preferable to just about everybody on this end. I could get selfish
and just ask for the spec for my own use, but I'd rather create a level
playing field that includes everyone. I'd rather have a little piece
of a huge (and growing) pie, than have a whole, tiny pie to myself.

However if that is not possible, I am willing to consider other methods.
Let me know what works for you.

Sincerely,

Jay Ts
jayts_AT_bigfoot.com