Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 01:41:21 EEST

>From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
>
>I will use the usual technique: PREFETCHING
>
>And getting a "cease-and-desist" letter for having implemented
>a simple opensource prefetching technique (which using mmap() can even do
>implicitly, because the kernel does it ) whould be kinda cool.

The patented system is not about prefetching. The beginnings also have to
be kept in the memory. There is two parts: (i) keep beginnings in the
memory and (ii) stream audio from disk (with possible prefetching).

For (i) I found prior art, and (ii) is old stuff. Together, these
can make, for example, a multitrack application (mentioned in the prior
art), or sampler (no prior art so far).

It is not a trivial patent.

Juhana