Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 10:45:35 EEST

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Maurizio De Cecco wrote:
> > > I would say: write this code in Europe.
> > >
> > > Maurizio
> >
> > And then protect the european FTP/WWW site so that US people can not download
> > it ? (because we/they could get sued ?)
>
> I don't know if they could be sued; i mean, i don't know if the user
> of a software can be sued for patent infringement; doesn't seem logical,
> but law and logics are two different things.

This problem is very similar to that plugin GUI toolkit + Qt thing;
who gets sued when the user runs a closed source plugin on a host that
renders the plugin's GUI using Qt? (The plugin developer doesn't have
a Qt license, as they don't use Qt, and the host is under the GPL or
similar license.)

More generally; who gets sued if an unknowing user brings some
pieces of software together in a way that results in a setup that is
patented or has some other legal/licensing problems?

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'