Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio (was:re: thanks for you inputs...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio (was:re: thanks for you inputs...)
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 14:14:32 EEST

Sat, Jul 8, 2000 David Olofson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Iain Sandoe wrote:
> [...]
>> How many of you are there out there - lurking for a PPC LAD/ALSA solution?
>
> [...]
> PPC G4 looks very interesting. Any hot news in this
> area?

Well, not hot yet... but warming up.

I've just got a G4/500 and (later today) plan to partition disks & install
linux + MaxOS X + MacOS 9 (still need to run the studio - it's quite active
right now ;-).

I'm working towards doing the latency testing stuff on the PPC kernels (if
someone's already done - please let me know).

Following that, (or during maybe) I will at least get the internal sound
driver up to speed (at present it is only really a CD player/sound output
sorta thing). We should be able to achieve 11ms output latency.

I'm waiting for a PPC-friendly RME hammerfall...
I'm waiting for Korg to decide if they are willing to release 12/1/2 I/O
specs...
I've got a sonorus - so I might see what can be done about that.

====

The bottom line is that the G4/500 is *damn quick* running VST under MacOS -
it leaves a 500M PIII standing for audio work ( > 3 x faster from the short
experience to date).

So when comparing cost - bear that in mind.

====

Plus I think we should expect SMP G4 boxes RSN - there's no barrier in the
G4 to SMP (the G3 had a couple of drawbacks IIRC).

Iain.