Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio software distro?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio software distro?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 17:17:13 EEST

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Hello. What is the status of Linux audio software "distribution"?
> I mean a collection of audio softwares, not a true Linux distribution.

As most of you know, I've bundled a collection on CD with my book. I would
like to offer that collection as the basis for anyone else wishing to
concoct such a disc.

One caveat before I publicly offer the image: Some of the software
included is there thanks to special permission, i.e., not everything I
currently include is covered by the GPL or some other good Open Source
license. I can't make the image freely available until I've removed those
particular applications.

> We could get the LADistro one step further by listing known-to-compile
> software and on what libraries they depend on (including non-audio
> libraries). This would help us to download all the needed software, and
> later help in compiling the audio software distribution.

When I began the various profiles that make up my book, I wanted to list
dependencies. Happily, I discovered that most dependencies were nicely
covered by the mainstream distros (Red Hat and others). Gtk, Qt, LessTif,
ncurses, Python, Perl, Tcl/Tk, et cetera are all included in mainstream
distros, usually in devel packages as well as binaries.

Now that IBM has a decent (?) Java perhaps we'll see it apear on the main
distros. The newly-freed Motif would be a welcome addition as well.

Anyway, I agree with Juhana: A list of special requirements is definitely
desirable. I note such requirements in my book where necessary.

> The list may not need the URLs because they can be checked from
> Dave's Linux Sound & MIDI Software pages.

A quick note/announcement: The next edition of the site is going to be
radically changed. Tobias Polzin has set the entire site in a new format
similar to that found at the Linux Game Tome (not identical though). A
search function is now included, and all former pages are still there. A
user's review function has also been added. Best for me, an admin page
will be set up to make it much easier for me to quickly maintain the site.

> My initial list is very short for the purpose. Please compile the
> software before sending the info. Post to list so that we all can
> see how entries flows in.

It may seem difficult to believe, but I've compiled and run probably
85-90% of the software listed on my pages (at least the Linux-specific
stuff). Some stuff was easy, some not so easy. I do try to test as much as
I can, and a nicely surprising amount of the software works "as
advertised".

> I also would like to receive your list of audio software which you use
> most frequently. Perhaps you could mention if you have a couple of feature
> requests. Please, send this info directly to me.

This project is a great idea. If my current ISO image would be helpful,
I'll be happy to donate that work as a starting point.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/