Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: new latency report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: new latency report
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 21:13:47 EEST

On Sun, 09 Jul 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > and the 704ms used to busy loop in modprobe...
> > (SB16 non PnP)
>
> I take patches for the sb16 if it bugs you enough to fix it.

The point is that modprobe will be a general problem:
many modules will freeze your box for dozen if not hundreds of msecs.
( eg aic7xxx )

We can live with this if we require that the user insmods all the modules
at boottime.

The problem could be the audiomatic module loading / cleaning
(kmod).

For example how do we know in advance that the user wants to use
pppd ? (ppp.o , slhc.o )

If he is offline while doing low-latency audio , and suddenly needs
something from the net, as soon as he fires up pppd, a latency-peak
may occur.

So a way to avoid latency peaks would be to inform the user, that
if (during his audio recording sessions) he wants to do some stuff which
requires module loading , he has to preload the modules at boottime,
and disable automatic module cleanup.

Anyone better ideas ?

Benno.