Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: new latency report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: new latency report
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 00:30:40 EEST

Benno Senoner wrote:
> So a way to avoid latency peaks would be to inform the user, that
> if (during his audio recording sessions) he wants to do some stuff which
> requires module loading , he has to preload the modules at boottime,
> and disable automatic module cleanup.
>
> Anyone better ideas ?
>
> Benno.

i think it's a bad approach to add some warning kludge to modprobe.
keep these tools lean and mean - besides, we wouldn't stand a chance
fiddling with modutils on lkml :)

it's no big deal telling the users to have all modules loaded on
startup and no autoclean.
low-latency users will be willing to take this small effort, and
audio boxen tend to have lots of memory, so dynamic unloading will
not be necessary.

just my....

jörn

--