Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain
From: Val Henson (vhenson_AT_esscom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 02:49:39 EEST

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 05:57:38AM +0200, David Olofson wrote:

> That is, peaks aren't a problem, provided
>
> 1) there is enough buffering to deal with one peak, and
>
> 2) that there will never be less than T ms between two peaks,
> where T is the time it takes to catch up after one peak.

I believe the audio people have established that some delays _can't_
be covered up by buffering (such as time between key press and the
addition of a track to a mix). If low-latency Linux has peaks, they
will just have to be "seldom enough" for the application.

Proving the delays are "seldom enough" will be even more difficult
than optimizing an OS for both real-time response and general
multitasking performance.

-VAL