Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain
From: Andrew Morton (andrewm_AT_uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 15:47:32 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> >From: Andrew Morton <andrewm_AT_uow.edu.au>
> >
> >I am quite mystified as to why you're putting so much effort into joint
> >letters and such ...
>
> Anyway, I have kernel 2.0.36. ...

I see. Yes, getting involved in the kernel updgrade cycle _is_ a
hassle. I had assumed that you people were tracking 2.4. I apologise
for the heavy handedness.

If you are running an RPM-based system you may find it easier to use
Jeff Garzik's `hackkernel' distributions. You'll need to grab the
.src.rpm so it can be patched. But it's probably better from a
repeatability point of view to grab 2.4.0-test3, patch it up to pre4 and
go for it.

I'll send the world's shortest kernel-building-HOWTO to l-a-d in a
moment :)

> But if there would be two or more audio people willing to upgrade
> their Linux to latest with latest Alsa, then we could work together
> and make sure nobody breaks their system. Please contact to me via
> e-mail --- lets do it!

From a quick peek at the ALSA site it would seem that they are tracking
2.3 and perhaps 2.4 - the linux-audio-dev denizens would know more about
that?