[linux-audio-dev] RE: disk-based real-time sampler prototype released ! please try it.

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RE: disk-based real-time sampler prototype released ! please try it.
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 20:26:46 EEST

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Garth Brantley wrote:
> Awesome man! I cant wait to get home and get this loaded up.

hehe, thx, don't forget to generate the sampler with a bit of vibrato so
that they sound less static. :-)

> Once Richard gets his feature list up I will go over and add some suggestions.
> I've spent a decent amount of time in my life playing with various hardware
> & software samplers so this should help. As far as the DSP programming
> stuff: What is the current state of plug-in APIs on Linux?

LADSPA 1.0 specs are complete and are suitable for pure FX processing
(like Reverb Hall filters etc).
There seems already a good ,free opensource reverb available:
Jezar's Freeverb at http://www.dreampoint.co.uk
(BTW: has anyone tried it ? is it really as good as stated on his page)

> A successful sampler needs excellent filters & DSP modules such as bass
boost, comb
> filters, etc. But as far as effects like reverb, delay, chorus, etc,
> plug-in support would be ideal.

yes especially because the you can use one single reverb for the whole
instrument/sampler by using the FX send amounts.

Regarding filters (like resonant LP for example), I am not sure for
performance reasons, it it would be better to inline them instread of calling
plugin functions. But if the plugin approach works here too, then it would be
kinda cool to have tons of interchangeable filter for each instrument/voice.

> As far as the file format thing goes. I don't think any of the current
> formats out there (Akai .wav & .akp, Sound font, .krz, let me know if I am
> missing any) are adequate for a comprehensive pro sampling system.
> I think the file format would be an ideal place to try to get some of the
> existing sound designers & industry people into the picture. There is no
>question that the sound design industry and consequently the musicians who
> buy samples have a lot to gain from an open cross-platform sample library
> format. The biggest hassle in putting out a sound library is dealing with
> all the different incompatible samplers out there.
> Anyway I am still doing research on this & I will post something here to the list by Monday. If
> anybody knows anything at all about the .Gig format please let me know.

I fully agree on the need of the open format but when designing we need people
which know the problematics of the realworld.
Speaking of myself I have only used "toy" expanders like the
Roland Sound Canvas. Although I played around with a sampler of a friend of
mine (long time ago) , I have not a very clear picture how the layering works.
( at least from reading in magazines Roland's JV1080 series seem to have a nice
voice structure, plus they sound really good)
So someone which could enlighten us about what is exactly needed to satisfy the
professional users, would be very useful.

Regarding the samplelibraries:

I think audio companies have a very closed attitude (see fileformats),
and often the sample-library producers have deals with certain synth/sampler
manufacturers which basically ties the samplelibrary to determined sampler
models.
For example let's say firm XYZ produced a cool samplelibrary in .GIG format,
and you ask them to port it to an open sound format ?
Since they have probably a crossdeal with the GIG folks , they will be reclutant
to port it , because they worry about lost GIG SW sales.
(I may be wrong but that is my impression)

A reverse-engineering of the GIG format would solve this problem, but of course
is not an ideal situation. ( they could keep the format changing, plus you have
not full insight into the details of how filters/FXes work etc).

> ps - Once I get something together, I am going to make a posting to the Akai
> & Kurzweil sampler mailing lists. I know a few professionals on these lists
> that have the potential to get their companies behind some sort of open
> standard file format.

keep us informed.

Benno.