Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: disksampler ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: disksampler ...
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 21:03:54 EEST

> > Another thing is, I think gnome (yes, it will be a bloated-yet-userfriendly-
> > whatever-this-word-means gnome-app) is looking for a replacement for esound
> > (though i'm not sure of it - don't flame). That app may fill the need here : a
> > very solid sample playing proggy with not too many bells and whistles - for
> > now, let's hope :) .
>
> The soundserver is a big dilemma because if you want low-latency among multiple
> applications running simultaneously, the only way to go is like I described in
> my other mail , but that required the application to be designed to fit in this
> model.
> "normal" applications can use soundservers ala esound, but
> for us high-end people, we have to control every part of the audio signal path
> from the userapplication down to the kernel audio API.
>
> So the gnome folks and KDE folks can not wait forever for our soundserver
> model. (and applications can not be forced to adopt ir)
>
> I think that meanwhile , the GNOME and KDE folks should continue to use their
> existing soundservers or develop their own ones, but they will not fullfill our
> requirements.

I think that since you have to separate the gui thread from
the sound thread, the client-server model is a good one.
alpha-versions of gdam tried another strategy:
use the same structures in both threads
with mutexs. I found it really hard to organize, and I was thrown
off b/c I didn't know how to select() on a pthread_mutex;
(now i know a nonportable way...)

But of course, if you were going to do that,
I'd have to try to talk you into just applying your
experience to gdam :) [or at least let me document the protocol
so we can try to behave the same "on the wire"]

- Dave