Re: [linux-audio-dev] gerk

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] gerk
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 20:23:39 EEST

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Joe Miklojcik wrote:

> I forsee a problem. What if I want to run Quasimodo, SuperCollider (is
> that ported yet?) and Evo simultaneously? How do I multiplex the

Well, either we run these as plugins or use a user-space soundserver for
giving non-exclusive access to soundcards (and other otherwise exclusive
resources). The first option is quite possibly the best, but the second
one is probably more practical (fewer changes to apps), at least for now.

I've recently been testing aRts (added support for it to ecasound), and it
looks very good. It's efficient, well-designed and has a wide
userbase (it's going to be KDE's soundserver).

Of course, we still have Esd and the new X Audio Server, but as I see it,
aRts is currently the best alternative. If we'd do the same as we did with
LADSPA, and join our forces to develop/support one alternative, aRts
development could go on quite a bit faster.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .