Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime restrictions when running multipleaudio apps .. Was: Re: disksampler ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime restrictions when running multipleaudio apps .. Was: Re: disksampler ...
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 06:56:40 EEST

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
>

> > > Thus, a realtime soundserver must somehow allow in-process execution, so
> > > that the realtime parts of apps can be gathered inside the soundserver.
> >
> > crash of an application that runs inside of soundserver would crash
> > soundserver, which in turn causes the crashes of all sound applications.
> > how do you get around that?
>
> you have to live with that and in the professional world, a crash of a

Well, you *could* run a backup engine in the background (locked to
another CPU, preferably) and switch to that one if the first one
should crashes. However, if a plugin crashes, and another instance of
that plugin performs the exact same operation on another CPU... how
likely is it that the second instance won't crash as well?

> single soundmodule means making your recording useless.

Provided you're not doing something like the above, and actually get
it to work, this is true.

However, being able to control the situation slightly and getting
the system back up running again ASAP, improves the situation a great
deal over Windows, where it's not unusual that only a system reboot
can get your applications running properly again.

The separation of UI + non RT process and RT client/plugin code
running elsewhere is another advantage in this respect; the
application can easily detect the situation that the RT part has
crashed, and make sure it's reloaded and returned to the last knows
state before the crash. RT engine crash impact reduced to that of a
drop-out!

With drop-outs eliminated thanks to decent RT scheduling and with well
tested plugins, we have a rather reliable system, even in comparizon
to dedicated DSP solutions.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'