Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 08:27:04 EEST

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Paul Kellett wrote:
> > Obviously the voices will be routable through a FX section
> > (the FXes should be loadable plugins) , with dry/wet parameter.
>

> There are 3 ways I'd want to use plug-ins:
>
> - Global effects: with send level controls at keymap level.
> (something like a piano only needs a reverb send at patch level
> but a drum kit might want different levels on each sound).

Very good point! A single, global FX send level is pretty useless
for drum kits...

> - Patch inserts: for processing all voices in a patch, for example
> compressing a drum kit.

I'm not sure this should be done at the patch programming level. (A
default setting could be handy, though.) It's probably more flexible
to control this via MIDI, somewhat like I described in an earlier
post.

> - Voice inserts: for adding functionality not included in the
> standard playback algorithm, for example ring modulation.

Heavy plugin use, but definitely a desirable feature. Touches on a
modular synth style design...

> Depending on the structure 'Bus inserts' might also be wanted for
> processing several patches.

This is where the master effect sends get in. Disabling the dry out
(volume CC) makes it come even closer.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'