Re: [linux-audio-dev] new apple platform viability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] new apple platform viability
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 17:37:23 EEST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> > Has anybody tried to run SND, csound, and jMax on yellow dog?
>
> Snd works in LinuxPPC 2000 -- is that similar to yellow dog?
> Openmotif has also been ported.

Hi Bill,
just a question related to Snd:
is it possible to show the show the moving playback pointer during play ?
Or is this feature not implemented in Snd ?
(I have the 4.1 version)
This would be VERY useful when locating audio sections.
(Of course this has to work in synergy with the current audio buffersize,
which means that you have to delay the visual playback pointer position
by the buffer audio latency, or the visual representation will not be in
sync)

Another thing I noticed:

snd uses 45% (!!) of CPU on my PII400 when playing a simple stereo WAV
(is this due to the reverb and resampling routines always active ?)
In my opinion it should consume much less CPU.
Plus if I move or resize the window, I hear lots of dropouts on a totally idle
machine.
Do you use a threaded approach ? (the playback thread could be made SCHED_FIFO)

Snd seems able to handle multiple playbacks simultaneously but if I start
two "play section" simultaneously , the sound will drop out due to the probably
overloaded CPU.

The speed when resizing windows is very fast, how do you do the replotting.
(eg do you keep a low res version of the wave in memory ?)

Other editors are quite stupid here and I remember I had some windoze editors
where the app read all 40MB of the WAV to recompute the graph, especially when
zooming out.

cheers,
Benno.