Re: [linux-audio-dev] invision patents .. shut down ALL soft-synths/samplers in the world :-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] invision patents .. shut down ALL soft-synths/samplers in the world :-)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 17:53:11 EEST

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:
> Just to show how flawed the US software patent system is:
>
> I just looked at one of the Invision patents:
> http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05596159__&s_clms=1#clms
>
> basically they patented the concept of a softsynth/softsampler on a PC.

Oops, so my little softsynth - practically useless as it is - might
still get me into trouble? ;-)

Oops again - I just remembered that I hacked a pure softsampler (ie
mixing up to 16 voices fully in software, using a hardware trick to
output the result in 14 bit stereo) on the Amiga a few years ago as
well... *hehe* Unfortunately, I can't remeber that I ever released it
to the public. (Most people didn't have CPU enough for 4 voices on
that thing back then!)

Oh, well. Back to work.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'