[linux-audio-dev] invision patents .. shut down ALL soft-synths/samplers in the world :-)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] invision patents .. shut down ALL soft-synths/samplers in the world :-)
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 19:44:44 EEST

Just to show how flawed the US software patent system is:

I just looked at one of the Invision patents:
http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05596159__&s_clms=1#clms

basically they patented the concept of a softsynth/softsampler on a PC.

In theory all commercial PC synths/sampler (VST synths, many other standalone)
etc would be illegal, and evey company had to pay royalities to Invison.

what happened meanwhile (the patent is from 1995) ?
No one is paying royalities, and all companies happily sell their own
softsynth/sampler without being threatened.

I do not understand why Barnes and Noble gets sued by Amazon for the 1click
 patent, while others do not get sued for patent "infringement" ?

Is the difference only the amount of money you can milk from the sued
competitor ?

BTW: Paul remember to take Quasimodo offline it breaks invision's patents too,
better not to risk a lawsuit.

Benno.