Re: [linux-audio-dev] MTC, SMPTE, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MTC, SMPTE, etc.
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (Udo.Nettingsmeier_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 14:20:13 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis schrieb:

> >> who says its part of the same audio stream ? i would tend to have
> >> SMPTE streaming in through a cheap interface, and not taking up a
> >> channel on a good multichannel card.
> >
> >Sorry if this is a dumb question, as I've never done anything
> >with SMPTE... but wouldn't this have exactly the same problems as
> >trying to sync audio data from different cards?
>
> i'm not sure. SMPTE is not even close to frame-accurate (the finest
> resolution is 1/30 second or thereabouts). there is therefore a lot of
> room for sloppiness.

???

i'm confused. isn't this 1/30 sec (or 1/29.xyz or 1/24 or
whatever) supposed to be a "frame" (= one image of the
film)? what kind of frames are you talking about ?

as to sloppiness: ok, timestamp granularity is 1/30 sec max,
but sync precision is sufficient for audio. you might
encounter problems putting two channels of phase-sensitive
stereo on two different machines with flaky smpte sync, but
don't do that, then.

> i wish to god that SMPTE had never taken off. its the most ridiculous
> thing since, errr, oh, something like APL. more precisely, its fine
> for video timing, but its *insane* that its become accepted for audio
> timing.

<tender little rant>
erm, well, unlike the perfect solutions that we all here
dream of, smpte is actually *available* and it's *standard*.
which is quite a plus, imvho :-D
</>

out of curiosity, what is apl ?

regards,