[linux-audio-dev] the ICube and Linux

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] the ICube and Linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 01:12:33 EEST

Just a quick provisional announcement, since its not finished yet, but
I couldn't wait to rave :) Last night and today, I wrote a Gtk-- GUI
for the Infusion Systems ICube MIDI sensor system. Its modelled almost
exactly on Infusion Systems' own Windows editor.

For those who don't know, the ICube is a digitizer that lets you plug
in a large variety of physical sensors generating analog signals, and
maps the signals to MIDI in various ways. Mine arrived yesterday, and
I was saddened to discover that it is useless without an editor (which
of course, is provided only for Windows and MacOS). I therefore did
the honorable thing: after griping to Infusion Systems, I got down to
writing a Linux editor for the beast.

The MIDI implementation specs are incomplete, so right now it doesn't
manage to get the ICube to stream MIDI data based on the sensor
values. However, it does program most aspects of the ICube, and allows
you to read the sensor values by polling.

I'm looking forward to building some custom "instruments" with this
new MIDI controller(s). I'll make the source available to anyone who
asks, and will put it on sourceforge once its fully operational.

--p