Re: [linux-audio-dev] Theater Sound FX with Linux [was Re: playing three sources at one time]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Theater Sound FX with Linux [was Re: playing three sources at one time]
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 00:04:23 EEST

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Jörn Nettingsmeier forwarded from alsa-user:

> I need to play several sounds (wav or mp3) at one time, but I need to
> control the starting of every single sound manually, so a
> multitrack-recording is not a solution (I need this for a play of our
> laity-theater).

Well, you could use ecasound and its ewf format to do this. Write a ewf
file for each sound file, and then just:

ecasound -a:1 -i sfx1.ewf \
         -a:2 -i sfx2.ewf \
         -a:n -i sfxn.ewf \
        -a:all -o alsa,0,0 # ... or /dev/dsp

You can specify the actual starting time in the ewf-file. Here's a sample
file (yup, not very flexible but works):

-- cut, sfx1.ewf --
source = sfx1.wav
offset = 60.0
length = 15.0
-- cut --

After 60 seconds, playback of sfx1.wav starts and lasts for 15 seconds.
You can omit the 'length' parameter if you just want to play the whole
file.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .