Re: [linux-audio-dev] the ICube and Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] the ICube and Linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 05:22:45 EEST

[ Cc'ed to lad, just to keep folks there up to date ... ]

>So what are you planning to do with the iCube? The project I did this for
>involved developing an alternate controller for sound sculpting
>(manipulating sound synthesis parameters to achieve new timbres). I can
>see how this would go very well with quasimodo. Did you have any physical
>controller scheme in mind? I've done a fair bit of research into
>this. It's a fascinating subject, and one I think a lot of work still
>needs to be done in.

Well, today, I started building my "dream MIDI" controller. It looks
like this (ASCII art):

Code: X = Turn sensor
      mT = mini Touch

                  +-------------------+
                  | |
                  | X X |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | X X |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | Touch |
                  | |
                  | Touch |
                  | |
                  | Touch |
                  | |
                  | Touch |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | S |
                  | l |
                  | i |
                  | d |
                  | e |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | mT mT |
                  | |
                  | mT mT |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  | (large blank |
                  | area for |
                  | tapping with |
                  | a TouchGlove) |
                  | |
                  | | <==== ICubeX mounted on backside
                  | |
                  | |
                  | |
                  +-------------------+

The sensors are all mounted on a polished piece of 1/4" oak.

The idea is to have an instrument with some/all/more of the richness
of traditional acoustic instruments, but connected to electronic sound
generators. Right now, I'm playing my Kawai K5000S, and it sounds
great except that I have to change the scaling for the sensors that
I'm using to control the filter cutoff, since the curve is way too steep.
Even a super-light touch on the touch sensors results in values close
to the maximum.

BTW, as of this evening, "icube" now runs the ICubeX in "host" mode,
translating sensor values directly into MIDI. Unlike the Windows/MacOS
versions, you can have multiple "sensor objects" reading from the same
sensor channel but producing different MIDI output. Also, each "sensor
object" has its own MIDI output port. "icube" also supports conversion
to program change, channel pressure and polyphonic key pressure
messages as well as the noteon/off, control and p/bend messages
supported in StandAlone mode (which doesn't work ...)

I'd still like to get "standalone" mode working, but this is a pretty
rich environment already. Playing with the instrument is fun, despite
only having 1 turn and 4 touch sensors at the present time (the other
stuff is back-ordered). It's going to look like a cross between a
Chapman Stick and, well, I don't know :)

I'll put a fresh copy of the source up on my web site tonight before I
go to bed.

--p