[linux-audio-dev] tapiir

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] tapiir
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 17:36:29 EEST

Hello,

I want to add MIDI input to tapiir, to control the mixers and
delaytimes.

(for those of you who don't know, tapiir
is a multitapdelay program, and can be
found at
http://www.iua.upf.es/~mdeboer/tapiir/
)

I find it hard to decide what kind of MIDI messages I should use.
I'm sure some of you have been facing similar problems, so that's
why I'd like to ask for your comments on the matter. I am not
sure if this kind of request for comments is against the policy
of this list, so please don't take offence if you don't care,
and just delete this mail.

I first thought of using standard continuous controllers, which
would have the big advantage that you can use standard midi
sequencers to control the mixers and delaytimes.
For example

mixer control:

Bn, cc, vv
where
  n = which mixer, range 8-A
       8 for left output,
       9 for right output,
       A-F for delay-mixer 1-6
  cc = which input of that mixer, range: 17-1F
       17 is overall gain,
       18 for left, 19 for right,
       1A-1F for input from delay 1-6
  vv = 00-7F volume

And 14-bit pitchbend to control the delaytime

Problems here are
* is it "legal" to use the undefined controls for this kind of things?
* it is ugly to use pitchbend for delaytime.
* the volumes could also be negative. does that mean value vv=40 for
  volume=0 ?
* with 14-bit, only delaytimes until 16384 samples can be specified. that's
  way to short. I might interpret it as msecs, which would be sufficient
  for most applications, and have an extra control for fine sample-accurate
  control.

The other solution would be to use System Exclusive messages. But I don't
think that any MIDI sequencer allows you to edit System Exclusive messages
as easily as control / pitchbend. On the other hand, for control from
jMax or MAX, it is now problem.

Maybe I should allow both?

Maarten