Re: [linux-audio-dev] tapiir

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tapiir
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 23:37:47 EEST

>Should tapiir do the same - allowing the user to specify which CC
controls what?

Please do this. Every piece of rack mount gear that I have, synth
modules and fx processors, can do this. In fact I recommend that
everyone developing plugins that respond to MIDI control data (soft
synths, fx processors, automated mixers, etc) provide for completely
unrestricted MIDI mapping, even for note-on commands. Certain
assignments are natural starting points, such as note-on => note-on, and
can be included as defaults, but treat these only as starting points
that can be reassigned by the user. This increases the risk of hung
notes but anyone adventurous enough to override the default assignments
will figure it out. Back in the late 1980's, I was developing a light
and shaddow activated MIDI controller and I got into this MIDI mapping
concept quite deeply. It's very fun.

Another reason for doing this is that it allows controllers with few
controls to be used. My first synth was a Roland JX-8P (1985) and the
only CC's on it are pitch bend, portamento time, and channel after
touch. Of these only the portamento time is useful for controlling
other gear since it is a simple slider. All of my hardware acquisitions
since then have been rack mount modules that allow me to assign
portamento time to any user adjustable parameter, so I still use my
JX-8P as my keyboard controller and map portamento time through my
sequencer to all of my other gear.

Tom