Re: [linux-audio-dev] tapiir

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tapiir
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 19:08:21 EEST

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000, pbd_AT_op.net wrote:
> its legal to use *any* controller for *any* purpose. the definitions of

Good. I don't want to get into trouble with the MIDI police squad you
know ;-)

> even the defined controls are only suggestions. many systems do not
> use them for their "conventional" purpose. a trivial example: my
> alesis fx processor lets me use any CC for any parameter.

Should tapiir do the same - allowing the user to specify which CC
controls what?

> [.. 14 bit agony ..]
> just use an adequate number of 7 bit CC's to fully specify it (as i
> recall you do with the GUI, in effect).

Yes, this is probably the best solution. Mapping CC's directly to the
sliders. Also easy so comprehend for the avarage user. I could even
add an extra text input for each slider (which can be hidden) where
the user can specify the control number.

The problem is though, that maybe a user wants to set a delay time
at once, and sending several CC's will take some time. Hmm, now that
I think of it, maybe to user wants change *all the values* at the
same time. Maybe for this I can use a a control to specify that
all the following changes should be buffered, and only updated
when told. Do you know of other systems that uses this kind of
solution? It is actually a feature that also should go into the GUI...

Great! Two mails of brainstorming and already plenty of Good Ideas.

> >The other solution would be to use System Exclusive messages. But I don't
> >think that any MIDI sequencer allows you to edit System Exclusive messages
> >as easily as control / pitchbend. On the other hand, for control from
>
> some of them do, some of them don't.

Really? Cool. Last time I used a sequencer was Cubase on the Atari ST.

> >jMax or MAX, it is now problem.
(s/now/no/)

> I would not allow both. that can get very confusing.

Yes.

> I prefer the use
> of CC's because it allows a user with CC-sending knobs (eg. phat boy,
> many "knob oriented, performance" synths these days) to control things
> with h/w.

Okay, I'll go for that. Paul, thanks a lot for your input!

Maarten