Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 22:45:51 EEST

>>program a device such as that with my 19" Viewsonic monitor, or at
>
> and use a goddam mouse for everything ? i like real buttons :)

The solution to that is some buttons that send midi (or whatever) - I also
hate trying to program 50 parameters through 20 layers of badly designed
interlocked menus on a tiny LCD :-( I'd rather use the mouse.

> Absolutely. And this is all why getting low latency stuff into Linux
> matters *so* much. Onward Brothers And Sisters! We Shall Not Be
> Stopped, We Shall Overcome, etc. etc. :)

Surely, if all else fails, we should maintain an "audio" version ?
(overcoming notwithstanding)

> --p (sadly considering running windows on a laptop just so that i can
> use some of this cool stuff without having to re-write it all myself)

I suspect more of us will join in the effort when the bottom layers settle
down a bit... it's daunting when it changes several times a week.

anyway, if you get to that point, the Mac versions are *much* less stressful
;))))

Iain.