Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 09:13:22 EEST

Paul wrote:
> Jay wrote:
> >Last I checked, a t.c. electronic Fireworx costs $1800 (street), not
> >$400, and comes with a tiny monochrome LCD display. I'd much rather
>
> The M-One (i think that is its name) is $499 at Sam Ash in the US.

Yeah, I just looked that up a while ago. Do you know how it compares
with the Fireworx? I assumed it would not be anywhere near as good.

> >program a device such as that with my 19" Viewsonic monitor, or at
>
> and use a goddam mouse for everything ? i like real buttons :)

Real buttons can be nice, and I'm not much of a mouse fan, even though
I've been using them since 1981. I'm hoping that soon, LCD touchscreen
displays will become reasonable options.

> >least a 15" model. Also, I recently purchased a used Pentium for
> >$200 including monitor, and it is much more versatile than a dedicated
>
> No A/D conversion, no D/A conversion. To buy a card with the digital
> I/O options on a modern digital FX box will cost you, oh, at least
> $200. The TC box has nice 24 bit converters too (the A/D part can even
> be used standalone).

You're right. Plus, there's the price of the software to consider too.

As for the sound card, I'm getting by ok for the moment with an
AudioPCI in both my Linux and Windows systems. It's only 16-bit,
but it works pretty well. It sure is a hell of a lot cleaner sounding
than the Soundblasters I was using, which only had about 50 dB of usable
dynamic range!

> Absolutely. And this is all why getting low latency stuff into Linux
> matters *so* much. Onward Brothers And Sisters! We Shall Not Be
> Stopped, We Shall Overcome, etc. etc. :)

That's the spirit!

> --p (sadly considering running windows on a laptop just so that i can
> use some of this cool stuff without having to re-write it all myself)

It can be fun. I'm doing it because as a musician it's my best option
at the moment.

But at the same time, I'm getting some great perspective on computer
music as a whole, and learning about all the cool software that people
are creating for "that other operating system" (and the Mac, too :).
When I do get back into actual progamming on Linux again, I'll be much
better off after studying what others have developed. It allows me to
have something to aim higher than. And I recommend that other Linux
audio developers try this, too! There are free demos for many of these
Win apps, so it can be done pretty inexpensively if all you want to do
is learn about them.

- Jay Ts
jay_AT_jayts.cx