Re: [linux-audio-dev] whatever ....

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] whatever ....
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 08:57:20 EEST

Paul wrote:
> this is bad design, i think, rather than a bad system. i bet i can
> reset any parameter on my alesis quadraverb by using the front panel
> buttons faster than you can use a mouse to reprogram a similar
> parameter set unless all the parameters are on screen for the edit
> process.

What a nice coincidence; I also have a Quadraverb (Q2, to be precise).
I'm pretty impressed with my Q2's programming interface, considering how
much mileage it gets out of so few buttons and a simple monochrome LCD display.

And yeah, you are right on - if I want to change a single parameter
of a function block, it's a fairly quick process. Um, *however*,
there are other things that are a little more complicated. And when I'm
creating a new program from scratch (especially if it has many effect
blocks), I find the simple interface to be a little cumbersome. For a long
time, I kept thinking that it would be great to have a GUI program running
on a nice color hi-res display, to be able to see the programs better than
can be done with the little LCD. (And there is such a thing for
Windows, a shareware program called qClick. It's kinda cheap, though.)

BTW Paul, and anyone else who might be reading this and also owns a
Quadraverb, I have written a program that dumps the Q2's programs
through its MIDI port to a file on the Linux system that can then be
viewed as human-readable text. Anyone want a copy? It's a little
shaky in some respects because it was my first attempt at audio
programming on Linux, but it works pretty well. I had thought to
publish it open source, but I didn't know there were any other Linux
users who had a Quadraverb. If there is sufficient interest, I might
be persuaded to put it up on SourceForge.

- Jay Ts
jay_AT_jayts.cx