Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 16:07:52 EEST

hi,
        from what i understand the biggest barrier to the use of RTLinux
for audio is the need for special drivers to support it and the lack of
access to system services.
        i could see using a realtime module which would do the mixing via
shared memory and perhaps schedule the linux kernel to do disk IO. i had
started working on such a module which was based on a usermode sample
playback engine i had already made but found the beta RT 2.2 patches to be
a bit buggy at the time.
        currently, much of the work people are doing is focusing on using
Ingo Molnar's low latency patches. however, Linus, et. al, have raised
issues with them and won't integrate them into the mainstream kernel in
their current form.
        i'm glad to hear that rtlinux is now working under PPC, and thanks
for dropping the list an email.
                                rob

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 yodaiken_AT_fsmlabs.com wrote:
> We've been getting a lot of inquiries about RTLinux/Audio recently (esp.
> from Australia for some reason)
> and I'm curious whether people on the list are using it. If not is there
> anything we can do to make it easier to use ? Is so, I'd really
> like to see what people are doing.
>
> FYI: Linux PPC now runs the RTLinux system without needing a patch.
> PowerPC performance has been quite impressive.

----
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu