Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thanks for your inputs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thanks for your inputs
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 16:35:09 EEST

>One last question, and please forgive my ignorance: Do you have any idea =
>of how many are out there doing audio on Linux or will be interested in =
>such solutions (as you know we're a commercial company so I have to =
>justify the r&d efforts)?

The number right now is very small (probably no more than a couple of
hundred at best).

But to focus on that is to miss out on something vital. Why would
anyone put time and effort into BeOS, when its user base is even
tinier than Linux ? Because people believe, rightly or wrongly, that
it may be the new emerging platform for audio (and multimedia more
generally).

Many of us on this list see Linux as a much better platform for such
things. If you agree that it has this potential, the current size of
the Linux audio user base is not that relevant. Also, by working with
an operating system that is fundamentally different than any of your
existing platforms, you will likely make your code more portable to
*any* system. Many people have pointed out, for example, that a port
of a program from Windows to BeOS would make a port from BeOS to Linux
pretty trivial. The same is generally true in reverse.

So I'd say, if you consider it R&D, focus on whatever you percieve the
long term future of Linux and audio to be. Thats certainly what we're
all doing.

--p