[linux-audio-dev] X Audio System

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] X Audio System
From: Mike Andrews (rocko_AT_sidehack.sat.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 20:19:58 EEST

An invitation to linux-audio-dev and Network Audio System list members:

First, let me say that I'm spamming across mailing lists because
I've re-opened the question of an industry-standard "X Audio System" with
X.org, the folks entrusted with the X Window System. I think it's fair to
say that the notion of an X interoperable audio standard is a common
interest in your two groups, but if this message reaches you in
error, please disregard it. In actuality, I've posted individually to
each mailing list, to prevent numerous crossposted replies.

A history:

I work in a small development group based just outside of Boston, MA (USA)
in Brookline, named Shiman Associates. We're a founding member of X.org,
a status that has remained in good standing. It should be clear to anyone
working in this space that X is way overdue for an audio standard of some
kind, but no entity has stepped up to the plate, as it were, to donate the
resources to start the process. In the fall, we decided to allocate some
of my time towards investigating possible architectures of an X Audio
System.

I've been lurking on these lists for the past 3/4 year or so playing
catch-up. I have learned a *lot* reading the traffic, for that I thank
all of you. Based on the stuff on these lists, historical research of
prior attempts, talking with acoustics experts, etc., I've begun to build
up a vision of just what might constitute a good solution to the
problematic lack of an "X Audio."

By no means have I answered all the questions, but I am working on a paper
to clarify my views. Details are forthcoming. In general, I believe that
some prior audio infrastructures were plagued by a divide that has
historically separated "audio people" from "computer people". Thankfully,
there are a lot of audio/computer people out there right now that don't
necessarily have this problem (for instance, the people on this list.)

An invitation:

What I'm trying to do is spark discussion, and determine who among you
would like to be involved in the standardization process of an X audio
system. The goal is to create an industry standard. In the near future,
I will set up a mailing list to act as a discussion space for this stuff.

I invite you to participate. If you're interested, drop me an e-mail.
And, please, if you think I've left out some large section of the
population, let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Mike Andrews
rocko_AT_shiman.com